Friday, July 21, 2006

Shopping The Indian Way

The acroamatic juxtaposition of hands is more commonly known as Namaste. In the beginning of time, calisthenics* was an accepted form of greeting both men and women. As time progressed and with the invention of hotdogs, this form of aerobatics was replaced by the Namaste.

The Namaste Protection Society was formed in the same year; Global Television Network Star Group Limited set foot in India. Over the years, the reverential and obeisant form of salutation has conspicuously depreciated with the advent of television shows like CSI: Miami, Rap music and Bad Boys I & II. Since then, the antiquated form of consecrated greeting has changed. It has been replaced by

  • Men hugging women, women hugging men, men chest bumping other men and if possible chest bumping women too.
  • The length of this form of greeting is directly proportional to the alcohol content in the body.
  • After shopping for some stuff downtown with mum, my father, upon sighting me says, Wazzup dawg? Whoz yer Big Daddy? He has completely transformed himself and currently sports our dog chain around his neck for the rap effect.

Shopping is an activity that should be, by definition, carried out in solitude though any activity carried out in my family is a group activity**. If you ever commit a mistake by letting my family know about, say, going to The Shop Around The Corner to fetch a bottle of Gaviscon, you can be sure that my dad, my mum and their dog will come along. I honestly love this sort of affection and fondness but it is just impossible to shop for, say, sexy muumuus or BVDs (Bradley, Voorhees & Day) with your family.

A few months ago, my wife and I were out of essential undergarments. On our way to the mall, we dropped over at my dad's place*** and before I could realise what was happening, both my dad and mum were ready to accompany us. I pssst-ed**** my dad to a corner and related my predicament.

  • We reached the mall and without wasting much time my dad headed to the lingerie section along with his wife (my mother) and my wife. (my wife)
  • I headed to the men's section and picked up several essentials such as underwear, undershirts and several police, surveillance, safety, self-defense and tactical equipment.
  • Honestly speaking, my wife is not very comfortable shopping for lingerie with her FIL. We are a happy family, I admit, but not just so happy. By the time, I got to the lingerie section, this is absolutely true, my dad was holding up a bra by both his hands, pinned it against his shoulder-blades, staring into the mirror and wiggling his butt oh-so-gently and screaming across the room, Beti yeh tum par achchi lagegi.
  • To make matters worse, he then asked some women assistants about How-To-Measure-Your-Cup and charged with this new ammo headed towards his DIL (not to be mistaken by Heart) and asked her succinctly for her cup size.
  • Unable to hold my laughter anymore, I dragged my dad away from the lingerie section. In a moment of utter lunacy, I dragged him to the negligee***** section.

Now both my dad and mum are aware of our sizes, which technically means, we don't have to be present for lingerie shopping from the next time onwards. My dad was generous enough to offer his services the next time we wanted to go shopping. He said, just let me know and if I am passing by the mall, I will just stop by and pick up stuff for you guys. What is your size again, beti?

Yours jee-stringly.

* You often find this form of greeting in Indian Cinema. This involves tripping on banana peels, kicking the bucket, breaking your 18" high heels and falling forward into the arms of the hero. This form of greeting hasn't changed since the time Satyajit Ray's dad was watching films. Also, calisthenics are fervently used in all dance sequences in all our movies and considered to be India's answer to Salsa.

** Except baby making.

*** As soon as we arrive at my dad's place, my wife runs into all the rooms to find my mother and then reads out a log of complaints till they agree that I am counterproductive. While this happens, my dad discusses the state of affairs of the Indian Cricket Team.

**** I called the Parent and Special Services Support Team. In some parts of the world, politically speaking, it means, loony-bin.

***** He loved a black negligee, which he thought would look superb on my wife. Everybody except him is aware of his Birthday gift.

****** Nihil ad rem. My BIL's son AK is an early bloomer. My BIL proudly says, AK finishes atleast one bottle of expectorant on a regular day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jee-String-ly,

Thong you very much for this post.

I am at a client meeting. THEY were rudely interupted by THEIR bosses by means of a conference call by which I had some time on MY hands which I used to log on to you blog, thanks to Nokia and here I am.

I will dissect this post with you somewhat later as I see a female client with whom I would very much like to get Lux Cozy Yeh Andar Ki Baat Hai with.

HaiBai,

Yours GarterlyButterlyDelicously,

Vestly Snipes

4:20 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi riggybunyaan,

bunyaan is the bastardized version of the word baniya meaning cow-minded.

Thank you for the thong,
Will you let me prong,
You with my gong,
Though you are mao zedong,
I can manage to shove along,
While you recite your favorite religious song.


Ofcourse, with you being the Founding Member, The President and Currently The Only Member Of SWTFIT, I wouldn't have expected you to use anything BUT Nokia.

On the subject of undergarments, I have a story. I recall, wife and I were at a party and for some reason I was in an extremely tetchy mood.

So, here we were at this party having an ok time when one of my acquaintances was trying to get fresh with my wife after one drink too many. This good fortune presented me, two options

a) Bring out Aunt Big Bertha and shoot him
b) Hurt him worse with my wit and whimsicality, which he had none of.

I chose the latter, only because, I did not particularly fancy his blood-splatterd noggin to ruin my Bespoke Savile Row Power Suit.

I said, Agar Tum Rupa Ke Underwear Baniyaan Pehnoge Tho, Tho, Tho, Tum Banega Chuddi Ka Cho***. Not only did I managed to get under his skin with that, I also tore him a fresh one.

Yours Airy Pant.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear BVD-ji,

Namaste!

I am GLAD they finally added the B ahead of your remaining initials. I would hate to have called you VD-ji, clinically speaking, especially whilst I was on your blog. It is as embarrasing as visiting a clinic run by Dr(s) Rai or Agarwal or Sablok Clinic.

BVD-ji, how nice of you to come visit us on this blog. I have not seen you since Johnny Weismuller was Tarzan. I was sad when you were replaced by Speedo Gonzalves. Anyway, I hope you get your Heinz on the Fruit of your Loom.

I was appalled by the FIL and DIL story. It was scarier than your BIL. I hope Victoria is not angry you told us about your Father and his Black Negligee fixation. Apparently, that was HER little Secret. Why is your Daddy saying Wazzup Dawg at his age? Is he trying to tell us that he is the REAL Slim Sidey?

If I send you my Routh-like proportions, will Popeminem (please stand up, please stand up)stop by at the mall for some shopping for your's truly too? I would like to be as brief as possible.

Please pass on my best wishes to your Missus. I am sure she is mentally scarred by all this shopping. I am glad about her Alma-Mutter is doing a paper on Kkrish. Maybe, to get over her ordeal she could do a paper on Cohen the Brabarian? No? You don't think?

I am also assuming AK, like his Daddy's barstaff pals, will have a fine English vocabulary consisting of the words Phensedyl, Benadryl and Phenargan WHILE lazily pointing at an almost empty bottle of Corex.

Yours TantumGarglely,

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Ofcourse, with you being the Founding Member, The President and Currently The Only Member Of SWTFIT, I wouldn't have expected you to use anything BUT Nokia'...

That fair killed me @ Nokia

I could make sidey comments using Ericsson and Siemens but I shan't. I am too 'classy' for that. In fact, I shan't even show you my stylus.

Like Julius C, I shall just say .. 02 Brutus. You stabbed me, just because I wanted to Menage a Treo your wench. No Fair....

'my acquaintance was trying to get fresh with my wife after one drink too many' - Just WHO is this black-guard? Can we vandalise him? Or even worse, send Mr. CMOT AND Corp. CWJ Knobbs over to his house on a dark night?

4:04 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi riggybunyaan,

I recall someone once saying, Does your dad suffer from Gonorrhea? I replied, No, but ask my dad that and he will tell you our STD code.

While you are GLAD that they finally added B ahead of my remaining initials, I am sorry, I can never call you VD-ji.

With your impending obligatoriness to keep the ritzy and voguish SWTFIT active, I have only one kibitz to dispense right now: Please wash well before and after use. I mean your hands.

Honestly, riggs, he is also dressing up as a rastafarian now. He is the real slime shady.

No AK identifies all singe-malt names and few French wine names too but his father is buying time till his 12th birthday. AK possesses the amazing ability to pour a peg measure with his eyes blind-folded.

2:24 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi RiggyB,

Don't. Styluses are usually small, thin and easily fit into my nephew's palm. Unless you idenitfy with this description, don't wish for it, like the Chinese say.

I know you are classy.

Apparently, Brutus was diagonised with the pox. The line originally read, You stabbed me, just because I wanted to Meningitis a Treo your wench. No Fair....

Unclassy line: Toshiba, my i-mate, BenQ a little and Haier your Blackberry, so Amoi's Sharp Palm can Bosch you. What a Vertu it will be.

Yours XCute.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home