Friday, June 30, 2006

Get Set Reddy

Recently, less than two months ago, I was visiting Hyderabad to attend a cousin's engagement. He was getting engaged to a reddy girl. Now, I do not know what that means but I am told, it is a Hindu caste. After finishing engineering at IIT Delhi, my cousin went to US of A, to pursue The All India Famous American Dream.

During his stay in New Jersey, he met his fateful femme fatale. After spending 23 years in India and merely two years in USA, my cousin appeared to have change for the worse.

  • He insisted we only eat at fine dining restaurants and order dessert after dinner.
  • He always carried a water dispenser (water from NJ) where ever we went. Apparently, he was susceptible to water hazards. This made it extremly difficult for us to lug and take it into pubs.
  • He carried a utility bag around his waist, the size of a suitcase.
  • He had a Delhi-Yank drawl obviously. This was terrible.
  • He showed pictures of his fiance and him at Niagara Falls with his fiance dressed in a salwar kameez and trainers. I had a laughing fit though he considered it very rude.

Sometime in the month of April, my parents, missus and I and a whole bunch of people I do not know and want to know, headed to the IT Das Kapital. I wasn't fully aware, in the month of April, Hyderabad is a phlogiston. I had packed a few woolens and many perspiring clothes for the engagement party. I had myself to blame for this huge blunder even when my wife clearly saw it on National Television that the temperature in Hyderabad was perilously close to 40C.

The entire trip had a bad beginning with my cousin's grandfather forgetting his box of, this is true, suppositories and realising this half hour before take-off. Shit. The flight was delayed for two hours due to technical difficulties and when we finally landed in Hyderabad, my cousin's family had already arrived and left.

Apart from a few life-threatening mishaps that failed to execute, we were all in Hyderabad in one piece. I insisted that we (parents, wife and I) stay in a hotel, while my cousin and his fiance insisted we stay with them in their bungalow in Jubilee Hills. Unless I know the people I am visiting very well, I prefer staying in hotels after one bad experience.

This was a few years ago when my wife insisted that I stay with her uncle on a trip to Mumbai. So did her uncle insist. He was very warm and receptive, like all normal families are, until the next morning. Apparently, her uncle practised AOL (Art Of Living) passionately (I wasn't warned about this earlier) and wanted to institutionalize me into this art form. Not only did he wake me up at an ungodly hour of 3:30 hours, but also insisted I take a bath with cold water and fart loudly. We performed Sudarshan Kriya and many other tongue-twisting yogasanas till 5:00 hours. At 5:00 hours, he promptly left me in the living room and went back to bed. I couldn't get any sleep after this rigorous exercise, I was ver sore and unable to go through my day long meetings. At 7:00 hours, he offered me Dahlia seeds with milk for breakfast. After that one instance, I have never met this uncle again.

The bad experience continued with my cousin's fiance's grandmother who isn't educated was screaming, I kid you not, Randi! Randi! on spotting us. We were all taken aback, until my cousin chuckled and said, everyone in Sunita's family is that. The hosts were kind enough to provide us, a chauffeur driven car. After buying stuff worth a few Nizam Jewels, we got back to the bungalow for dinner. I have to tell you, we were all very pleased not to find the grandmother in the front yard.

The entire next day we spent like crazed tourists seeing the sights & sounds of Hyderabad. The only choice of food available at restaurants is birayani & biryani. I wasn't particularly complaining but my mother was summoning the chefs at every eatery and teaching them the art of roti making. At that point, I feigned, I didn't particularly know her. That evening was the big function.

My wife was dressed up in a kimono and I was wearing a muscle tee and shorts for the engagement. I am kidding. I was wearing an unusually heavily embroidered Sherwani while my wife made many failing attempts to wrap a sari around herself. I was so well-dressed, I had a few strangers come by and congratulate me on the impending marriage. This process continued until I moved my wedding ring from my ring finger to my middle finger.

The party was in their compound with the entire house lit up with fancy serial lights. It was beautiful until the real tamasha began.

  • The guest list contained more people than the population of all the Scandinavian countries put together. Apparently, my cousin's FIL is a highly influencial Reddy. I think for their wedding, they will book the entire Pragati Maidan.
  • There were absolutely no pretty women in the gathering. Most were below 16 and the rest were above 60 with innumerable kids thrown in for nuisance value. I was informed later that reddy girls of marriageable age are not invited to functions. It is a hoodoo belief, I think.
  • The place looked like a remake of Mackenna's Gold though the actors were fat, ugly and dark. I wondered where Mr. Omar Sharif was.
  • I have never ever in my entire life seen so many dhotis and ghunghats slip. This appeared to happen naturally causing very little alarm among the people in the vicinity. The bad part was neither of them were stirring anything in my underbody.
  • Most of the men were dressed like parole convicts while their respective partners were extravagantly dressed. If anybody wants to rob gold for a living, this was the place for it. So much gold, even a blind man could lay his hands on some.
  • Some high profile ministers were also invited for the engagement, which ensured that there were lots of fat men in Safari suits and dysfunctional guns surronding us. Occasionally, a sniffer would come by and smell my unmentionables.
  • I am not bigoted but my wife believed a lot of people in the party were wearing tacky Chiffon and Georgette saris. She claimed they couldn't carry them off. I do not know what the expression means.
  • She also claimed, most of them were putting-on-an-Hyderabad-Yank accent until she had to tell them all that we were not from The States. They were all a huge source of entertainment for me.
  • The food was an all south-indian affair. I did not recognize anything but an array of vegetable salads. The food was extremely spicy and floating in oil yet very tasty. I ate most of everything without prejudice. I spotted my mum having a crash course on roomali rotis while my dad was chatting up some heavily-clad aunties. With my dad, language is the least of his worries.
  • My cousin seemed to have taken a liking for the reddy clan instantly. Not that he had much of a choice but my belief strengthened when I saw him gifting dime-a-dozen use-and-throw razors to some of his fiance's uncles.
  • The bride-to-be was dressed in a traditional south-indian sari. The sari was so scintillating, I was gently reminded of J.J Thomson's Alpha-Particle Scattering Experiment.
  • During the entire party, the responsibility to take care of my cousin's grandfather was shouldered on me. He kept chewing me up on buying him suppositories until I fed him some mango pickle. I think he will always remain grateful to me.

The hosts were extremely garrulous yet courteous. The next morning we left Hyderabad with oodles of weight and a burning ass. My cousin wants to move to Hyderabad after marriage and involve himself in land-grabbing activities.

The only thing that is still bothering me is, after the party a lot of members of the reddy clan walked over to us ( wife and I) and as a parting nicety with a smile on their face said, rape randi...

Yours sambasiva reddy.

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arre O Samba-sivareddy,

I live in Hyderabad. It was not 40 as you claim, please stop spreading false propoganda. It was 44.

Now you know why I have not attended a wedding in my family for the last ten years. Rape Randis and Rape Choostaanus are a way of life here. There is also a word called Pumpistaanu, for which I always say Humpistaanu. It makes me smile. If I were to abuse you, I would use the filthiest abuse frequently found in Telugu Cinema ... ''You Bleddy''

As an event manager I sometimes do events where 'high profile ministers' pay visits. The Unmentionable Sniffers are my friends, did you chance upon a golden labrador called Daisy? Her trainer is called Nagendrababu.

The next time you are in town, please do not hesitate to look me up. I am an influential person on the pub landscape and can ensure that water dispensers are carried in by valet-parking-wallahs.

You could also be a good guest and buy me a drink.

Yours Chiranjeevily,

Bonkapathi Raju.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

hahah!rofl!!
This is absolutely hilarious..especially the Rape randi part..haha cant stop laughing!!
And I completely agree on the gold display in these south indian weddings..its more gold on display than the biggest gold store even in hyderabad!:)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sambu reddy,

Riggy-gaaru didnt tell you about the time someone came up and asaked him 'aem andi'? and his answewr wasa 'tantex'.

telugu sure is a funny language, made even funnier by the users. if their looks dont make you collapse with laughter, their attire (including the 5 tolas of gold on a normal day) will!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u lie qwerty....no way your name can be sambasiva reddy. It will have to be sambasiva kondapalli dongakoduka nagarjuna reddy (i.e. assuming your parents were conservative in their naming propensities)

I have a few questions

1. wots a fine dining restaurant? they fine u for dining there? or is that called the bill? U should have deserted him on these expeditions.

2. Wouldnt it have been easier to have a tanker follow you around? one with a long 8" hose? Would have eased the sore-ass-is when required.

3. dressed to kill (?) as you were, if there had been a pretty face - would there have been another post about a wedding? or would it have been one about homicide?

Shall stop with the questions - though i have so many more, but this should suffice for a first post.

I read the post and at the bottom it said 0comments. I was surprised cos i know rigger checks this blog frequently while working - like once every 3.4 seconds to see if there is a new post by you. So, when i did click on the link and saw riggah heading the list - was hugely relieved. Didn't want to be a victim of an online mugging.

BTW, riggah forgot 2 of the best - jara-gandi, and tees-kundi ;-)

gir-giri-pec-avi

PS: been reading u'r blog for someime now - u will soon be sent a bill for a hernia caused by laughing too hard.

3:14 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi riggygaru,

If I had known you lived in Hyderabad, I would have taken the liberty to stay with you. I think our comment interaction is good enough for me to believe, you don't wake up at 3:30 hours unless it is a match day.

I mailed my cousin to find out what choostaanus, pumpistaanu and humpistaanu meant. I wanted to mail his fiance but the words suggest calamity.

It is very embarrassing when a dog sneaks up your sherwani to smell your knickers. I am sorry, riggy for not finding out if its breeder is Nagendrababu or not.

I don't go out to pubs with my cousin anymore because he only wears sneakers and hood-cap pull overs. He thinks it is avant-garde.

After doing some extensive medical research online, I gather, dengue fever is rampant among newly weds.

Yours,

Bonkapathni Raju

3:26 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi Ekta,

What's so funny about rape randi? I think it is hugely derogatory.

Are you from Hyderabad too?

3:30 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi Shanks,

I agree with you completely though I am not a pro at this subject, really.

3:36 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi peccavi,

What on earth does sambasiva kondapalli dongakoduka nagarjuna reddy mean?

1. Fine dining restaurants are places where kadi chawal is named Aigre Yaourt la Riz .

2. We considered a tanker with 8" hose. The problem was my cousin didn't have sufficient water for it.

3. I was not dressed to kill though many reddy aunties might have prompted me to kill them for bad dress sense.

riggy likes to be the first one to comment on a new post of mine. Its a hugely emotional thing for him.

Please send in your bill.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hai.

Pliss not send yany bills. I am loafing too much myself for to be botherd abot yore bills. and harneeyas. in fact I was loafing so much after toilets I dint put my jup up and was very embraced when my college pointed it out.

Peccavi I think yore name is Srinu because you remambarred jara-gandi and tees-kundi.

I myself Bonkapathi only because am not having marital. U r very luck Mr Bonkapatni.

Okay bai

Vernacly yours

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If u're staying with riggers u dont have to be woken up at 3.30am....unlikely he and (mebbe) you would hev gone to bed yet :-))

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know what the words below mean?????

choostaanus,pumpistaanu and humpistaanu

The only hump I know is a nickname given to Wednesday as it is the middle of the week.

These words being sounding very yinsteresting to be using.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qwerty

didntja know all gults have a names like blah blah blah chaminda vaas (did i miss out one blah?)- though he isnt a gult - more's the pity. with that name and that ball...he'd have been welcome on the team.

or like V.V.S laxman (very consevative parents)

or like p.v.r.k. prasad

or like q.w.e.r.t.yadavgaaru

4:37 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi riggisthanu,

I copy-pasted your entire comment into a MS Word document. There are 78 words in all out of which MS Word cannot recognize 16 words though I managed to gather the essence of your message through an A.I essence generator.

4:39 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi peccavi,

Heh heh @ q.w.e.r.t.yadavgaaru. I didn't know until a few months ago about reddys too.

The only way riggs can keep me awake is by teaching me some telugu profanities.

4:43 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi G,

I just received an email from my cousin with the meanings for the following words:

choostaanus: Choost to mean lick, Anus from latin hole, meaning butt licker.

pumpistaanu: pump meaning A machine or device for raising, compressing, or transferring fluids, Anu being plural form of anus meaning raising, compressing or transferring fluids into and out of an Anus.

Humpistaanu: hump from German Protuberance on the back of a Camel, Anu meaning Ditto, meaning, Playing with a Camel's Ahole.

The meanings are a bit perverse. Do not expect anything less from riggs.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hai.

Yu said yu have receevd email from yor cozin.

Yet u r blame on me perversly.

am i yor cozin?

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Qwerts...

Thanks I learned something today.

Oh Noo from Riggs I expect nothing less. He knows I have high expectations.

Hehehe must try these words out next time I am in DEsh...

5:13 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi riggs,

No. You are not. My cousin is not pedigree.

5:52 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi rums,

Thank you. If you are a woman, please pardon all of us for the locker room talk.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe...whats with your blog? Everyone wants money from you. Nothing you say gives the impression of your being rich (except with words), does it?

But, dont forget when you are handing it out that i'm ahead of 'rums' in the Q.

2:07 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi rums,

I am thrilled to know that you are a woman.

Yes, please send me all your dentist, gastroenterologist, orthopaedician, osteoporosis, paleontologist, anthropologist bills to me.

In case, anyone in your families require blepharoplasty, augmentation mammaplasty, mastopexy, rhytidectomy (especially for you rums), etc. do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you rums, am I in love with you?

10:17 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi peccavi,

I am sure, my blog will appear in RK Bros. edition of Life's Unsolved Mysteries soon.

You are right. I am not rich. I just caught the big fish many years ago. I call it the cash cow.

Also my dad is rich and he is showing strong signs of donating all his assets like Mr Buffoon.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Shrikant Joshi said...

hil.ario.us

Regards,
Shri.

1:32 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi rums,

I prefer your love to your male friends. I think they will be a little rough on me.

1:41 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi Joshi,

Thank you. That's a lovely water-body in the picture. Where was it shot?

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you write like north indian weddings are the epitome of simplicity! Quite a bold post from a person belonging to a class that thinks anyone south of India is a Madrasi.

Your post, is not remotely funny! It is irritating to say the least!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post makes it clear that you are just another narrow minded, prejudiced, pretentious northie who suffers from illusions of grandeur. You are just trying to cover up your jealousy, inadequacy and insecurity by criticizing a language you dont comprehend. I pity you cos people like you cannot fit in anywhere but in your home town and are actually scared of anything new. Thank god you dont live anywhere close to Hyd. We are far better off without the likes of you.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Kalyani said...

Hi Sambasiva,
Came across your post by happy accident.
Extremely amused with your content and writing style...made me laugh out loud many times. :-) Keep spreading the cheeriness..

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://firgonbares.net/][img]http://firgonbares.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]kaspersky 8.0 updates, [url=http://firgonbares.net/]discount software australia[/url]
[url=http://firgonbares.net/][/url] buy second hand software microsoft office 2003 key generator
adobe software classes [url=http://firgonbares.net/]academic software projects[/url] adobe creative suite 3 for vista
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]macromedia flashtm software[/url] coreldraw file viewer
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]fix office 2003 oga update[/url] shop software price
oem software net [url=http://firgonbares.net/]nero free[/b]

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

We do not agree with this year BRIT awards decision.

Please come to see our little web survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Madonna

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/fettabsaugung/index.html]fettabsaugung[/url]

PRINCE HARRY WISHES HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BRIT AWARDS
With a special birthday message from Prince Harry for the 30th Anniversary of the BRIT Awards

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qebbj [url=http://www.drdrebeatscheapsales.com]beats by dre sale[/url] nwyywb http://www.drdrebeatscheapsales.com wmwi [url=http://www.drebeatsstudioheadphones.com]cheap beats[/url] dulogk http://www.drebeatsstudioheadphones.com eent [url=http://www.beatsdreheadphonesonsale.com]beats headphone[/url] acxtea http://www.beatsdreheadphonesonsale.com ychsw [url=http://www.dreheadphonesonsales.com]monster beats[/url] lflelc http://www.dreheadphonesonsales.com ggujl [url=http://www.drdrebeatssales.com]beats by dre sale[/url] loqiw http://www.drdrebeatssales.com hvhun [url=http://www.beatsheadphonesbydrdre.com]beats by dre[/url] cbcqx [url=http://www.focsa.org.au/myreview/beatsbydre.phtml]beats by dre sale[/url] hsxur http://www.focsa.org.au/myreview/beatsbydre.phtml vnm

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wbdbueq http://www.saclongchampsolde.eu lnvrnqg [url=http://www.saclongchampsolde.eu]longchamp soldes[/url]teewxrm
kuukytz unoinkp http://www.gafasdesolraybanbaratas.com qjgystw [url=http://www.gafasdesolraybanbaratas.com]ray ban baratas[/url]lsvbgwi
ofgrsea http://www.lunettesdesoleilraybans.com nioawcr[url=http://www.lunettesdesoleilraybans.com]ray ban pas cher[/url]fsrjije
vrripgm http://www.guccioutletshops.com ygvsblw [url=http://www.guccioutletshops.com]Cheap Gucci Wallets[/url]pzvqmpt
arxxmsw http://www.sachermessolde.com rasdlzi[url=http://www.sachermessolde.com]Sac Hermes Pas Cher[/url] hfwqnbg
ckndlgk http://www.stylomontblancsoldes.net ryjeadm[url=http://www.stylomontblancsoldes.net/]Stylos Mont Blanc[/url]iezzocv
lpafrqv http://www.replicahermesbagsonline.net wjfvtcg[url=http://www.replicahermesbagsonline.net/]Replica Hermes Kelly Bags[/url]lekzitj
tlqmkyc http://www.mulberryoutletsonline.net bckdsqd[url=http://www.mulberryoutletsonline.net/]cheap Mulberry[/url]ytrwqvt
gvuivck http://www.louisvuittonoutletonlineshops.com dihahus[url=http://www.louisvuittonoutletonlineshops.com/]Replica Louis Vuitton Bags[/url]
dgonukg http://www.sacguccisolde.com mkqlund[url=http://www.sacguccisolde.com/]Sac Gucci[/url]jpdfdlb
coqpbpy http://www.saclouisvuittonsolde.com kvycmek[url=http://www.saclouisvuittonsolde.com/]Louis Vuitton Sac[/url]ixmvfsg
uierise http://www.raybansforsales.com vdbslle [url=http://www.raybansforsales.com]Ray Ban Aviator 3025[/url]idozvaa
ptbvluu http://www.montblancpensonlinesale.com baggjan[url=http://www.montblancpensonlinesale.com]mont blanc pens uk[/url]tqqadsy

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home