Saturday, July 01, 2006

Family Noose

Perfect setting: Missus decided to watch some mind-numbing reruns of Sex And The City while I was all set to meet some of my boyfriends to watch the all important fourth test between WI and India. I am kidding. It was all going very well until my FIL called. He wanted us, to watch the match on his new big screen. After a perfect argument, we decided to go watch the game at his place, on the condition, I watch Saturday's 2nd day of the fourth test between WI and India with my buds.

No offense, but my FIL is not your normal fanatic sports lover. I overheard, right before the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Germany, he was explaining the offside rule to one of his many grandchildren. He said, there are two sides, offside and onside and it is relative to the batsman. I only mention this because I was in denial to watch a football game with a man who is as confused about the game as his lineage.

My in-laws aren't exactly thrilled to see me. The usually treat me with the same nonchalance as they would treat a door-to-door salesman selling Webster's dictionary or socks. We ended up watching the match with me cheering for Germany and my FIL undecided till the end of play.

Anyways, I was willing to forego the missus for a night of peaceful football watching. I got home just in time to catch the Italiano washout. The game was completely off-sided.

A few days ago, I had to attend another family reunion dinners. I am yet to figure out the real reason. It was not about my blog, thankfully. I took this golden opportunity to find out what's shaking currently with everyone.

  • My Brother: It was unusual to see him at family gatherings. He came up to me and said Bro, I have an originale and ingenious business plan. For everyone, who is unaware, my brother is forever trying to exploit my entrepreneurial tendencies, by which, I mean, the ability to lose money without difficulty. This is a genetic trait passed onto me by my dad. Many years ago, my dad also invested a lot of money in horse racing expecting very few dividends. Though I do not invest in gambling, I am hugely susceptible to originale business plans.

    Anyways, my brother sought out to establish a boutique cyber cafe with an ecological twist to it. The cafe would offer your usual private cabins with identity concealer, a Korean mechanical-hand named Handie, a bottle of Perrier and ofcourse the fundamental need at all cyber cafes; a roll of Kleenex (free). Apart from this, the cafe would also offer beauty treatment services for both men and women. This is true, after watching many cartoons as a kid, my brother believed the computers will function on, I am not kidding, Spinach. After the entire discussion, I asked him, what was the USP of this business venture? After a thoughtful minute or two, he said, Cable & Wireless.

  • My Father: In my family, the word personal is nonexistent. Everything is discussed openly. Hypothetical Citation: My father over the dinner table with some business contacts of mine will say, Arjun, Did you know, your good friend sitting right across the table used to have an inverted nipple condition for many years before it had to be surgically corrected? My father is absolutely capable of saying such things at public gatherings. He continues to have erectile dysfunction, which was the topic of discussion at the dinner. I did not know about this until an open forum discussion recently.

    To ease the discomfiture, he caused everyone, I broke the silence with, Dad, why don't you think about the Washington Monument or Statue of Liberty or Rock of Gibraltar or our very own Qutub Minar. As a cheap thrill, for Father's Day, I bought him a 1/96 scale replica of The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

  • My Mother: My mother is still missing for the last two months. We are safely assuming that she is probably in Hyderabad teaching the art of roti making to the chefs.

  • My Sister: She continues to be the first child of our family. I did not find anything of consequence to mention in here though she continues to give me unequivocal and false advise on being a father. She wants me to become one.

  • My BIL: He continues to be the only active member of Alcoholics Anonymous though there is little anonimity about this fact in our family. He stayed close to my dad's bar eyeing a bottle of Black Label lecherously. My sister believes that is the only time he does that. I like him because, our conversations are monosyllabic, for example, Hey BIL, want another drink? Yes. Hey BIL, want another drink? Yeah. Hey BIL, want another drink? Yah. Hey BIL, want some dinner? No.

    On a BIL bonding session, I ended up at one of the AA meetings. There were lots of scary people sitting around in a circle, holding hands and singing some Irish pub songs. They were kind enough to offer me a drink as soon as we reached the pub.

  • My Nephew: I think my nephew who is 12 years old had his first erection a few days ago. Though I do not have any evidence to support this allegation, I think he did. I saw him gel his hair.

  • My FIL: He continues to baffle us for no apparent reason. I still continue to respect him.

  • My Wife's Sister: She was busily finding data for her new trivia; Footballs: What Men Don't Have.

  • Mintu: He asked me, what's a fellatio was? Though taken aback, I told him, it was a latin lollipop. After drawing many similes to explain the meaning and many failed attempts later, I told him a joke.

    One sperm said, Lord I'm tired! How long until we reach the fallopian tubes? Another replied, Still a long way to go, we've just passed the oesophageal cavity. I am hoping, he understands it. He is only 13.

  • Pongy: She brought a date to the gathering. I personally thought the kid would be a good influence on her. Sometime during the course of our meal, she declared, she had her first ever Brazilian. I am not sure if everyone at the party understood it.

  • Chintu: He is officially a terrorist. He brought a musket to the dinner. His parents want to buy him a S&W Sigma 380 ACP as soon as he turns 13. I am very sure they are allowing him to chase his dream.

  • Chintu's Mum: I was glad to see her. She was saying, it wasn't her idea to don the Lil' Mermaid costume. Apparently, Chintu's dad had never watched Lil' Mermaid when he suggested the costume. I also pointed out the irrelevance of Lil' Mermaid as a Super Hero.

  • Chintu's Dad: Abominable as ever.

  • I: I continue to be an actively lead a life of celibacy. I have recently registered with The Celibate After First Marriage Club, Unlikely Of Second Marriage Club and Above The Hill And Therefore Cannot Find A Girlfriend Club. I am also looking for a subscription with sexaholics anonymous for geometrical gratification.

Yours family's only normal being.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... Good one (I meant the blog)

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i beat you rouse.... even am addicted here!

guess who? hehe

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! riggers unaccountably detained - in a cell? in hospital? in bed? or, GOD FORBID, at work...

qwerty-pus u must name u'r blog 'My Family ARE Animals' by qwerty durrel!!!

I'm impressed at how your fil makes up for lack of knowledge on football with encyclopedic info on cricket - ref the offside and onside rules. Please tell us more :-)

I'm really curious to know how spinach will work. Will he eat enough to develop popeye-ish muscles and then power the comps by hand-cranking them?

Qwerts - since u're so rich and have a cash cow (your term, don't mean to be disrespectful to wife)can we joil the dole Q with our bills too? and bil's too?

yours cash-strappedly

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Normal,

I have noose for you. My tummy still hurts. I am sad to see you are subjected to Sex and the City. It seems you have a Desperate Housewife. It is a good thing that you didn't go and watch cricket with your bitches. My blog later, will tell you why.

Your FIL is a man who should never watch American Football.

Your brother is a genius. Since I am in Hyderabad and we have lots of Cyber 'Kaifs' maybe Bhaiya should come here.

Since Aunty-ji is a roti-chef of some repute, maybe I can open a restaurant for her in Hyderabad that ONLY serves rotis. I can call it RAOmalis (Haha, Reddy Steddy Go). Handie is a good bet. I would like to meet Handie. I do not need to take Handie for drinks and dinner.

I like your BIL. I wish all my client were like him. For eg, Moi : This event is going way out of budget. Can I add on another 10 laks for hairdresser expenditure. Client: Yes. (After 10 mins) Moi: And 2 laks for Paan Masala for band members. Client : Yeah. (After another 10 mins) Moi:-And seven and a half crores for good weather. Client: Yah.

I am not commenting on the kids because you asked me not to. ( I am also kidding)

Chintu & Fly :- Are they related to the Adams?

As for YOU, take heart. I was once the Treasurer of the DGLTM CLub (Didn't get laid this month), from which I graduated to being Sr Spokesman of the DGLTQ Club(Quarter) and then onto Party Workers at the DGLTLSM CLub (Last six months). A satisfying stint at the DGLTY CLub as Vice President (This Year) has now propelled me to great heights. I am the President and Founding Member of the SWTFIT Party. (Sex, what the fcUk is that).

Whilst I was penning this reply, my pal Hipps told me many people have commented on this blog and are all mentioning that they have beaten me to it. Nya Nya Nya Nya, Losers.

All I can say now is... WHOOZ YER DADDY?

Yours Familial,

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Qwerts!!!

Stand tall even my mum is hooked onto your blogs. I read it to her and she laughs until her stomach hurts.

But I honestly think your brother can give Bill Gates a run for his money.

Risque!!!....

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is EVERYONE's been qwertied. Honestly peeps, how many times have you all visited this page since this morning and hit refresh, waiting for something to happen??

I musta done it like 73 times. Heh heh. I gone all groupie.

2:19 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi rums,

I was an early bloomer. It would be amount to terminological inexactitude to say I have arrested development.

Though, on this subject surveillance results clearly show a gradual decrease in the size of human appendixes, by which, I mean, our forefathers had appendixes the size of a baseball bat.

Due to little or no use, since ape man the size of an appendix has now mutated itself. Currently, the average appendix is about 10cm.

This long-drawn mumbo-jumbo is to explain the effects of nonuse. If I continue my celibate life any longer, I might be a victim of arrested development.

2:57 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi peccavi,

I would appreciate it if you did not talk about my family in a derogatory fashion. I love them, as you can read through my entire blog.

My FIL does not possess any working knowledge on Cricket. He read my post on Cricket Basics For Housewives.

I am not certain how spinach will help. I think a protein called Popeyesystem I, a derivative of spinach chloroplasts will be used to develop a micro-chip. though I think its a little far-fetched.

Incase your BILs are as monosyllabic as mine, yes you may dole them onto me. As far as bills go, I am willing to pay only on the condition you will handle my missus through one entire PMS cycle.

3:12 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi riggs@SWTFIT.com,

No. I do not have a Desperate Housewife. I have Kasautii Zindagii Kay

My FIL's idea of American Football is Baywatch and I agree with him on this aspect.

I will tell him about your offer but he might not consider Hyderabad as an option, only because he is absolutely worried about sun tan.

I like the name RAOmalis. If that venture is a success please do not hold back from starting CHOWdaries - Chinese Tadka Mar Ke.

Seven and Half crores for good weather? I will tell my event manager to move the party to England or Indores.

Thank you for not commenting on the kids. You should know, I highly appreciate it.

No. They are not. They are absolutely natural.

I am the Harbinder of FATINIU - Fck, All That I Need Is U.

On the question, WHOOZ YER DADDY? , I have to admit, I didn't have any choice.

I am sorry riggs that you aren't the first one to comment on this post. I will dissuade the crowd henceforth from doing that.

3:46 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi G,

I see a motif here. All my ardent readers suffer from gastronomical problems and financial problems.

Do I bring the best out of people with these ailments?

On the subject of my brother's original idea to start a boutique cyber cafe, I have to admit, I made it up.

3:52 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Thank you everybody. Without you, I would have never found the motivation to write. You are the heart, soul and life of this blog.

I also take this opportunity to thank my parents, teachers, elders and members on the dias for allowing me to strip.

Lights out, Jackie.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time out.

Please. Before I die.

I had the most exquisite chinese lunch and came back home to grab 40 winks before tonight's sportglut.

Silly me, I logged on to check for replies. Now I have laughed so much my stomach aches, all the food is digested and I am no longer sleepy.

Why do I shoot myself in the foot?

5:07 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi rums,

I have been wheedling riggs on the same subject.

He seems to have taken it personally that he no longer is the first one to comment.

I think, he should not fall into the number game trap. It brings about unnecessary hostility.

Also, another point to munch on is, he has remarkably improved his spellings since yesterday.

HaiBai.

5:26 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi riggs,

Have you ever heard of Edward De Bono? ( I know exactly what you are going to say. )
He is the Father Of Riddles For Dumb Interview Aptitude Exams.

If we asked him, Why do I shoot myself in the foot? lets see what the De Bono Generator says?

It says, It is an idiom.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riggster...

You sure it was the foot?

Just checking...

Bit of chinese flied Lice and Lemon Chicken and a good blog with a raugh is good for you as confooscious say...

Lol !!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Num said...

(Died laughing)
For teh record, I'm *in italics* catty enough to have teh luxury of doing that with each post for a long long time.
LOL
Bring it *in italics again* ON,Mon.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

Hey dude,
First time on your blog through Ekta's blog and loved it!!!
Loved the way u haev taken a dig at every member of ur family and even better gotten away with it!:-)
Hilarious piece..neat to take some tips from u;-)

6:03 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi num,

It is believed a cat has only nine lives. How will you manage to die laughing to every post of mine?

Thank you. You must visit us more often and indulge in the comment gamesmanship.

9:35 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi anand,

Thank you. What you think is a dig at everyone is my stark reality.

Sometimes, I thank God for stopping me from learning Guerrilla tactics.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Qwerty!!!
U did it again!
Make me laugh everytime I come to ur blog:-))
I really would want to see all the members of ur family..ur blogs make them sound more like "one of their kind species" than normal beigns..haha!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home