Monday, July 03, 2006

Sales, Masterji & Weekend

déjà vu: My love life.

Aberrations over the weekend: a) Brazilians are through to the semi-finals. b) Indians lose the decisive fourth test. c) Unbeknownst, Sehwag's hair reappears. d) My wife said, Come with me to the Casbah, we'll make beautiful music together.

I was thoroughly disappointed to watch Brazilians lose. I think it was the surprise element of the entire World Cup. My BIL, who was watching the game with us, in a depressed frenzy, drank another three large shots of Scotch. He was so disappointed, he was unwilling to leave the pub. Anyways, I am glad Brazilians are out; German nemesis.

On Saturday, we went to my dad's place to gently remind him that I am still alive. After the last family reunion dinner, he hasn't been communicating with me. My wife immediately rushed to find my mum. Apparently, my mum was NOT in Hyderabad but on a holiday away from my father. Even I can sympathize with her. To my disgust, I found my BIL waiting for me to arrive or so I thought. My father had already tipped him about my evening plans to watch the games at a pub.

After a cup of chai for us and a shot of scotch for my BIL, I dropped my wife about 200 yards away from my inlaws place and waited till she disappeared behind the gate. BIL & I, then disappeared into the pub. It is absolutely wonderful to go out with my BIL. Firstly, he knows most of the pub owners, by which, I mean, he has been kicked out occasionally for lack of funds. Secondly, I do not have to constantly converse with him, by which, I mean, he is busy getting wasted.

By the time, England recorded their quarter final loss, my BIL was three quarters down. I rang my sister to find out if he had a drinking problem and she banged the phone down. I will assure you all, my family doesn't have a sense of humor. After the Brazilian defeat, I dropped my BIL at his place and headed home.

Woke up at 11:30 hours, had a quick shower and headed to my in-laws place. Ate lunch, picked up wife and returned home. On our way back, I sensed that we were going to break into another argument and before I could finish that line of thought, my wife started it. She is a major league fan of Sales. Sales of any kind including, but not limited to cenotaphs, coffins and clothes. She also wanted to see her tailor(s). I wanted to go home and sleep. Finally, we agreed to go to the sales and her tailor, since these things were matters of national security & importance.

  • We went home to pick up the clothes we received from USAID as a part of Tsunami Relief Fund. All of them had to be either stitched or alterted. I am not exaggerating.

  • We then headed to Matching Point & Petticoat Junction to find matching tops for bottoms, matching bottoms for tops, matching blouses for saris, matching saris for blouses, matching petticoats for buttons, matching hairpins for lingerie, matching nail polish for clothes she might buy for her next year birthday, etc.

    The only interesting part about the place was, I was the only male member. I was feeling absolutely violated while my wife was doing her thing. You may all laugh, but I can tell you, having sex-starved sales aunties strip you naked with their eyes is not a very comfortable feeling. Some shoppers in petticoats & bras were strutting unintentionally in my presence.

    While my wife was busy match-making, I contempated my sex life. It was a cliffhanger. For uniformity, I divided the month into 30 days to calculate the probability of it happening. This is how it looks:
    7 days:
    That time of the month.
    10 days:
    That time before the month. Private Messaging Service.
    5 days: Time she spends at her place.
    4 days: I
    am likely to travel.
    3 days: Arguments.
    1 day: Honey! I
    have a headache.

    I
    do not know how many goods we purchased but the shop owner promised to do a free home delivery. I was already suffering from postpartum disorders.

  • The next pitstop was at her tailor. I have to admit, the way to his shop is a perilous ascent. His shop is located on the third floor of a building without a lift. The stairway does not house any artificial lighting whatsoever and can only accommodate one person at a time, by which, I mean, if you are climbing up the stairs and are unaware of a raging bull speeding down the stairs, one of you will be crushed to death.

    The shop was a dingy joint; a place no woman would ever venture, but here I was with my wife waiting for Sir Wawah Darzi to make an apperance. The place was packed with women of different shapes and sizes waiting to be measured up.

    The tailor was barely five feet nothing, frail and about to die. He greeted my wife like he knew her vital stats and proceeded to discuss stuff in a language that I couldn't understand. I think, I do not know some of the dimensions that he knows about my wife. I was understandably ashamed. For everyone unaware, a darzi is called masterji for some strange reason.

  • We then headed to the many sales on the offering. You all must realize, my wife will buy 20 sets of bed linen to last us for 7 years just because they are on sale or 139 rolls of toilet paper since we might have a water problem next year.

    First,
    as you all would have guessed, it was indeed the ladies section. The offer said Buy Any Three Garments Over 2000/- Each And Get An Egg Boiler Free or Buy Any Two Garments Over 4500/- And Get A Set Of Six Table Mats Free. She chose both the deals since she wanted to make my life easier by gifting me an egg boiler and she absolutely loved the table mats.

    We
    then headed to the men's section. They had a deal on undergarments. She called my father, her father and her brother to find out their sizes and models. My BIL was missing, as usual. After gathering all the necessary information, she decided to buy them all shirts instead. The deal said Buy Two Shirts Worth 2100/- Each And Get A Box Of Seven Hand Kerchiefs With The Days Of The Week Embroidered With Multi-color Cross-Stitch Needlework. I received two sets of hand kerchiefs while some of the other male members in my family received shirts.

    We
    made a quick dash to the kids section soon after. After buying clothes for Chintu, Mintu & Pongy, my wife did the most ridiculous thing. The shop had a deal on baby-care products. For our sexually unknown future child, my wife bought several packets of Huggies, wet tissues for cleaning poo-poo, a pram, several '0' month clothes, etc. It wasn't ridiculous until she bought two sets of everything as a twin contingency.

    We
    then headed to the home needs section. Here she bought several items of bed linen, which if spread side-to-side will cover the entire neighborhood we live in. Several plastic boxes for storage. They had a deal, that said, Buy Several Easy-To-Store, Smell-Proof Storage Cases And Be Eligible For Our Lucky Draw For Home Delivery. We bought enough bath towels to clean each part of our anatomy twice. She then headed to the cutlery section where we purchased enough cutlery for the Boston Tea Party.

    Just when I thought we were done, we jet-setted back to the ladies section. After wandering aimlessly for another half hour, she decided to finally settle the bill. This was the part I was dreading. After paying an undisclosed amount, we headed back home.

Leo Packers and Movers have promised to deliver the goods of purchase sometime on Monday.

Yours brokenly.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Qwerts!

You're lucky your Missus goes to a tailor called Master-ji. When I was under Marital Law, I was taken to one such individual called Ustaadji. I was always confused coz I never saw a sarod in his shop. It is also mandatory for women of the world to find tailors, darzeez, Masterjees and Ustaadjees in the worst parts of town, in buildings that are either going to demolished soon OR going to be hired by Ramgopal Verma and the Ramsays to makes horror flicks.

I hate sales and can empathise with your condition. The women I go to sales with insist on embarrasing right down to my cuticles. For eg: They will try on around seven hundred and thirty two outfits and not buy a thing. Since YOU (read, me)stand outside the change room to give an opinion on each one of those outfits, the salesmen glare at YOU (read, me) for having being born. For eg2: The women I go shopping with also insist on making me want to vanish by going all touchy-feely on various garments, finding out costs and saying loudly 'what? 1500 bucks? I can get this at Sarojininagar market for 200 bucks'.

I hope you have a house big enough to store the memsahib's shopping. In case you need a godown, please holler.

I was sad when I read you were Brokenly.

Warm regards,

Yours Loansharkly.

3:29 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi buy riggs get qwerty free,

The last ustaadji I met had a chiropractor close by. I agree with you completely on the subject of tailor shop locations.

Stop extraggerating, riggs. At a sale a woman is usually not allowed to try on clothes. Even if they are allowed to do so, there are seven hundred and thirty two women wanting to try outfits and at times the same one.

At the Louis Vuitton in Mumbai my mum was found saying Isse sasthe bags tho Palika Bazaar mein milte hain.

I am not financially broken. Just an irrevocable spinal cord injury.

7:39 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi rums,

In the US, used jeans are fashionable. Especially when they come with suspicious spots around the crotch.

On the subject of dressing me up in hankies, there is no hope for pankies.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

hahah!
Hilarious post once again!
And trust me I sooo relate to the sales/shopping bit...in facty of my earleir post was on "shopping with the opposite sex..aka my wife and my experience!"...

Keep the humor rolling in!

7:17 AM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Hi anand,

Women world over refer to a secret scripture on How To Torment Their Male Partners.

The last sighting of this scripture was found in Queen Elizabeth II's labia.

Dan Brown I love you.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qwert-sup

the lady or the ship???

why do men hate sales so? why no desire to buy anything? esp. cheap... so what if we'd never have bought that elephant-poop-picker-upper or 4 sets of superman costumes (including the chaddi to wear ON TOP of the everything else) in a regular shop. How can it be resisted when its on sale? And usually you get one elephant-poop-picker-upper free when you buy 3 of them. So then you can give one to all branches of the family tree and earn their undying gratitude.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

:-)
Although am a women..cldnt resist laughing and agreeing with your post!!
Yes indeed...when it comes to sales women just cant resist them!!
And yes..surprisingly the tailor I know too is called Masterji!!;-)

Btw:-Think by now we all cant write the detailed characteristics of all ur family members!
What about humor outside ur family!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ekta,

What's so surprising about a tailor called Masterji? It's univerally known that a woman will NOT go to a tailor if his name is Ramu, Srinu, Qwerty or Riggs. He HAS to be called Masterji.

You neglected to mention his surroundings. Women also cannot go to a tailor who has a shop in a nice location. In that case, he HAS to be too expensive.

More later!

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - Riggs/ Qwerts - This is just sad!!! What kindda women do you guys know anyways????? Very very Disturbing!!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Anonymous,

We know women who wish they did not know us. I speak for Qwert as well for I think he is like *italics open* ME (italics close*

I would also like to know the name of your tailor and a succint description of his surroundings.

BTW.. Which of the anonymouses is this? 1, 2 or 3?

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Anonymous 1 writing for Anonymous 3. My Tailors shop is Called Dream Girl, situated on the beach road and HIS Name is Dave. Beat That!!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAAH!

My tailor is called Emporio, on Rodeo Drive and his name is Giorgio. Say wot?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Num said...

There once lived a tailor
Darzi was his name
We all called him Masterji
Sewing scraps his game
One day there landed at his shop
A creature we call Rigger
Such torment the meeting was(mutually)
None there could be bigger

4:52 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

Sorry folks.

I am unable to reply to any of your comments because they all seem to be nonpartisan pieces of tailor information.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my comment was ALL about sales...and a small question for u....time u read them all and answered the relevant ones...

5:42 PM  
Blogger qwerty said...

hi peccavi,

I receive so many letters, it is hard for me to read all of them. My apologies.

We contemplated buying the elephant-poop-picker-upper but shelved the idea because there wasn't gift wrapping paper, big enough for it.

On the subject of why men do not like sales, all I have to say is, we do as long as they are in the Caribbean.

Hope I have responded to your comments suitably.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home